Friday, February 19, 2010

How do I get adhesive off of rubber weatherstrip?

The guy who previously owned my car, stuck something on the rubber weatherstrip on the driver's side door then tore it off when he sold the car. I now have a bunch of very visible adhesive there which I'm trying to remove. Any suggestions?How do I get adhesive off of rubber weatherstrip?
paint thinner , or adhesive removerHow do I get adhesive off of rubber weatherstrip?
There is a product out there called Goo Gone.it removes gum, grease,tar,asphalt,sticker,label,tape residue,oil,lipstick,shoe polish,scuff marks,kitchen grease ,fresh paint,crayon,soap scum,bumper stickers,masking tape.......................on or in carpets,hair,upholstery,clothing,leather鈥?hands,appliances,vinyl,wood, draperies,auto's and boats,fiberglass. I'm reading this off of the applicator bottle. This can be purchased at a harware store for about 2-3 bucks.The bottle says it contains petroleum distillate and need very little amount to do the job and not to saturate area as it will losen the glue bond between some carpets and backing . I have used it to remove stickers of appliances and glass with great success.
A tiny bit of Zippo lighter fluid on a paper towel will take it right off. You could also use a product called goo-gone, but I suspect you probably have a tin of lighter fluid laying around the house somewhere. Look way in the back on top of the fridge.
Be very careful so you don't damage the weather stripping. Try hot soapy water or a little vinegar. Try to stay away from any solvents or alcohol as they will degrade the rubber. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment